Friday, May 25, 2007

Home Mission Field

From Heather Forbes and Beyond Consequences parenting:


Our homes often becomes so chaotic and so dysregulated that we dream of getting away, maybe even getting in the car and driving away for . for . forever! This hopelessness shifts us into a feeling of victimhood, where escape seems like the only way out. This is fear. This is a fear deep within us that constricts us into seeing division in the house as the solution.

When our life as a parent seems overwhelming, sometimes it can be helpful to see our home as our mission field. Yes, and you say, 'I'll go on a mission trip - a mission trip to China. I'll sleep in freezing cold weather, eat fish eyeballs, risk my life, and do without my Charmin. Sign me up now because that is better than what I'm dealing with at home!' But, we are called to parent and called to take care of our hurting children. We don't need to travel to the other side of the world. Our mission is to provide a healing place for our children in the mission field called home. And that is true servanthood, not victimhood.

I will TRY to remember this on the hard days!!!

No comments: